Tuesday, January 23, 2007

one deep breath haiku: process

willful as the falling rain
it comes when it comes
make your rain barrel ready


Clarissa Pinkola Estés (poet, writer, teacher, and more) describes the creative force as a flow that finds "the channels that exist in us." I like this recognition that we ALL have an internal haven for creative inspiration...a built-in receptor. She goes on to talk about the importance (and magic) of being ready.

That's how it works for me. I'm always taking in ideas, a perpetual note-taker. When it's time to bring something out, I balance "wait and see" with "start and continue."

Incidentally, the quotes above are from her book, Women Who Run with the Wolves, which is also for women who relax on the porch.

For more on this, and plenty of other "good stuff," go to Soul Food Cafe.


9 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I certainly agree that creative force finds the channels that already exist and we have to be open to it. Then your haiku complements that thought so perfectly.

paris parfait said...

I like the idea of always being ready (to be struck by inspiration?). I'm a big note-taker too.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and full of hope. Very zen. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Part of the process is making yourself ready. I love the rain barrel line. This is good.

Tammy Brierly said...

So very true! Wonderful take.

Jone said...

I am inspired by this. Makes me think of the rain barrel song.

Anonymous said...

yes, isn't it just amazing how inspiration can surprise you at anytime. Thank goodness for little notebooks!

Lovely post and Haiku

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Very inspiring. Where is that rain barrel of mine? Oh yeah, right here...

jennifer black said...

I love this haiku--and your thoughts about it. I love the idea of getting ready--there's such a sense of belief--beyond just hope--but a real sense of truth to the coming of creativity. It could be a way to live.

Fabulous job.

jb